Saturday 22 February 2014

15979 L/Cpl Robert Herbert Hawkeswood, Grenadier Guards - how the collection all started.


This medal was one of the first I ever purchased (with pocket money at that time!) over 25 years ago from a small antique shop on the outskirts of Stourbridge, West Midlands.

At that time, I was more interested in collecting ‘one of everything’ and it wasn’t until years later, that I become more interested in the people ‘behind’ the medals.

This single 1914 star was awarded to Lance Corporal Robert Herbert Hawkeswood of the Grenadier Guards who served under number 15979. I had no idea for all the time I had the medal in my care that Robert had lived quite locally to me in the town of Wolverhampton.

Sadly, Robert was a very early casualty of the Great War and lost his life in France on 20th October 1914. Commonwealth War Graves record his details as serving with the 1st Battalion and that he did indeed enlist in the town of Wolverhampton.  He has no known grave and is commemorated on the Ypres Menin Gate Memorial, Belgium:


I have visited the memorial myself, taking pictures of Roberts name, now recorded forever with the thousands of others who also lost their lives.

He is entitled to a 1914 star trio (and also the memorial plaque), of which I only remain custodian of the 14 star. There are, however, clues of what may have happened to the BWM and victory medals. Robert appears to have two MIC cards; one for the 14 star, where his name is spelt as ‘Hawkeswood’ and another for the pair where his name is recorded as ‘Hawksworth’, then crossed out and spelt ‘Hawkswood’!  - It also records that both the BWM and Victory medals were returned for ‘adjustment (name)’ on 14th September 1921. I would be surprised if they were ever returned to Robert’s next of kin…

Robert is also mentioned on The Wolverhampton Roll of Honour website:


It states that Robert was the son of Herbert and Harriet Hawkeswood, of Portland Place, Wolverhampton. He was the brother of Charles Hawkeswood. Did Robert’s brother follow him to war? Only further research will tell…




1 comment:

  1. It was with great interest that I read the above information. My name is John Edward William Hawkswood. My Grandfather was William (Bill) Hawkswood, Robert Herbert Hawkswood's youngest brother. My Grandfather had one son, John Hawkswood (also John) my father. I recently had framed Robert Herbert Hawkswood's "For King and Country" white silk sash taht was given to his parents Herbert and Harriet when he was killed. My father gave me the sash many years ago. Please feel free to contact me for further information. My father (deceased) was a Grenadier Guard too. johnhawkswood@hotmail.co.uk

    ReplyDelete